Dentistry has come a long way in recent years, and there are now more ways than ever to have dental work done. One of the new ways to conduct dental procedures is with lasers. Here is what you need to know about laser dentistry in North York.
About Laser Dentistry
Laser dentistry can remove plaque, reduce mouth bacteria, reshape the gums, help harden filling, and treat other dental conditions. Dental lasers are safe to use, but everyone in the room must wear eye protection. There are no loud noises associated with lasers like there is when compared traditional dental tools. If you suffer from anxiety at the dentist office, laser dentistry can help you feel relaxed. Normal dental drills can be noisy to some but lasers and quiet, so the patient is more at ease during procedures.
Laser dentistry is a safe alternative to standard dental care. Lasers reduce the chances that you’ll get an infection, and the mouth suffers less trauma during a dental procedure. Your recovery time will be less so you can get back to work and regular routines quickly.
Some Procedures Covered
Laser Dentistry can cover many common procedures such as removing tooth decay, biopsies, detecting cavities, whitening teeth, treatment of TMJ and removing mouth tumors. Your dentist will speak to you about the various procedures where a laser may be beneficial. Both soft tissue and hard tissue procedures can be performed with lasers. To learn more about laser dentistry and the procedures it covers, you can visit our services page: Laser Dentistry.
Pros of Laser Dentistry North York
- You will feel less discomfort with laser dentistry
- The lasers mend tissues quickly so you won’t have bleeding issues as this is a lot less
- Swelling tends to be minimal with this sort of procedure
- The work is more precise as lasers are quite accurate for intricate dental work
- You will heal at a faster rate when lasers are used for a dental procedure
Cons of Laser Dentistry North York
- If you have a filling already, a laser can’t be used on that tooth
- Lasers can’t be used on cavities between the teeth
- If there is a lot of tooth decay, a laser can’t be used
- Lasers can’t remove bridges or crowns
Speak with your North York Dentist
It’s important to speak with your dentist to determine if laser dentistry is the right choice for you. There are benefits to using lasers but drawbacks as well. The dentist can help you make the right choice by looking at your individual situation.